Sunday, January 5, 2020

The Basics of Self Care


We all know how important it is to take care of ourselves, but do we heed the advice? I am, at 45, really starting to pay attention to my health but it would have been so much better if I had done this 20+ years ago. 

The basics of self care are very simple:
  • 8 hours of sleep minimum
  • Drink more water
  • Move your body more
  • Get fresh air & sunshine daily
If you're not a water drinker (me!), start small and work your way up. I started drinking 8 oz. of water each day for a week, then jumped to 16oz. the second week, 24 oz. the third week, and 32 oz the fourth week (where I'm currently at). 

If you are sedentary, start with 5-15 minutes of walking and slowly increase from there. Doing something is better than nothing at all. If you are walking outside, you're getting the benefit of fresh air & sunshine, too! 

And rest. Since my husband has become disabled and forced to retire early, we don't have a set schedule we have to adhere to. I have read that the more sleep you get before midnight the better it is for your body. I try to go to sleep at 10pm but it doesn't always happen. It's a work in progress and that's okay! Sleep is when your body recharges and repairs itself so it's super important. Prioritize sleep over your to-do list. That's what Kayla @not.so.consumed on Instagram does, so I'm following her lead. 

Of course, there is so much more to good health, but just start with the basics. When you get a handle on these, start looking at other things you can do to improve your health. 

Do you prioritize good health or do you need to work on this area?

I'm listening and cheering you on! x


No comments:

Post a Comment