Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Garden, Anyone?

Photo by Markus Spiske on Unsplash

I've been thinking about starting a container garden and planting a few fruit trees since this virus outbreak has started. With people panic buying, it just makes sense to have access to fresh vegetables and fruits.

Why a container garden? I don't like to weed! We had a garden before and weeding was just the worst. I know me. I will not keep it up. 

It will take a little investment up front: pots, heirloom seeds, potting soil - but it will be a big help in the long run with the grocery bill and if there are food shortages in the future. I'm not trying to be extreme - I just think it is wise to be as prepared as possible. 

It's so rewarding to see the little seeds you planted growing real food that you can eat! We already have Meyer Lemons and Satsuma trees. I'm thinking about adding Apple and Peach trees.

Things you can grow indoors easily: 
  •  Carrots
  •  Kale
  •  Mushrooms
  •  Beets
  •  Bell Peppers
  •  Potatoes
  •  Herbs
  •  Micro-greens


Don't forget vegetables you can regrow in water:
The bottom of the vegetable must be intact for this to work.
  • Bok choy
  • Cabbage
  • Celery
  • Green onions
  • Fennel
  • Kohlrabi
  • Leeks
  • Lemongrass
  • Lettuce and heading vegetables such as Napa cabbage
   Also, please visit https://www.burpee.com/ to get more info for newbie gardeners and to order your seeds and fruit trees from. They have been in business since 1876 and have a non-GMO policy. I am NOT an affiliate, it's just a company I recommend.

   One more thing, don't plant things your family won't eat. That would just be a waste of time, money, and food. Start small and build upon it each year to avoid losing money. 

   We are going to try tomatoes, bell peppers, potatoes, lettuce, carrots, and cabbage. Whatever cannot be used right away I will figure out how to save them with canning or blanching and freezing. The goal is no food waste!

   Will you be starting a garden this year? If so, what are you planting?



No comments:

Post a Comment